We offer a variety of different Safe Zone Trainings:Safe Zone,Trans Safe Zone, Health Care Disparities Safe Zone, Public School and Higher Education Policy Safe Zone, Interpersonal Violence Safe Zone
Safe Zone helps provide participants with ways to improve inclusion and equity for LGBTQ+ people and suggests ways to assess and address exclusions. We provide trainings that specifically focus on WVU resources or can address the needs of LGBTQ+ people in the state of WV (and beyond).
Our Safe Zone symbol is a message that a campus community member has participated in Safe Zone training and is committed to advocating for LGBTQ+ people.
LGBTQ Safe Zone Trainings will be held on the first Wednesday of each month.* (*January 2020 will be held on the second Wednesday due to the holiday).
Transgender Safe Zone Trainings will be held on the third Wednesday of each month.
All Safe Zone Trainings will be held at the LGBTQ+ Center, unless otherwise noted. All trainings are 2 hours long and will be held from 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM.
Please register online: https://wvu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_badeC8slK7Q3XqR
You can also register via the LGBTQ+ Center’s website, lgbtq.wvu.edu >Safe Zone Training > Register Here OR by calling (304) 293-9593.
· September 4, 2019 Safe Zone
- September 12, 2019 School of Nursing Safe Zone - 12:00 -2:00 PM
- September 18, 2019 Trans Safe Zone
- September 19, 2019 Honors College Presidential Ambassadors - 12:30 - 2:30 PM
· October 2, 2019 Safe Zone
· October 16, 2019 Trans Safe Zone
· November 6, 2019 Safe Zone
· November 20, 2019 Trans Safe Zone
· December 4, 2019 Safe Zone
· December 18, 2019 Trans Safe Zone
· January 8, 2020 Safe Zone
· January 15, 2020 Trans Safe Zone
· February 5, 2020 Safe Zone
· February 19, 2020 Trans Safe Zone
· March 4, 2020 Safe Zone
· March 18, 2020 Trans Safe Zone
· April 1, 2020 Safe Zone
· April 15, 2020 Trans Safe Zone
· May 6, 2020 Safe Zone
· May 20, 2020 Trans Safe Zone
Safe Zone is committed to providing faculty, staff and student leaders with
the necessary knowledge and tools to serve as allies to the LGBTQ community
on campus. During these interactive sessions, participants are provided with
- Definitions and preferred usage
- How to be an active ally, including how those of us in the LGBTQ+ community can be better allies to one another
- Campus and community climate issues
- Campus and community resources
We encourage all those who participate in trainings to display a Safe Zone symbol
but it is not necessary: you may decide to participate for personal knowledge,
Trans Safe Zone
The WVU LGBTQ+ Center provides Transgender Safe Zone training to all interested faculty, staff, students, and broader community members. Our training covers basic information about transgender, nonbinary, and gender nonconforming people and communities, demographic information about the size of transgender populations in the US and in WV, and histories of transgender activism, as well as issues related to trans health care and transition, and trans-specific experiences with hate crimes and discrimination. The Transgender Safe Zone provides concrete strategies for those interested in becoming a transgender ally, including ways to assess the gender-inclusivity of living and learning spaces, recreational facilities, forms, policies, pedagogies, and curricula, and ways to ensure inclusive pronoun and chosen name use.
For questions or comments please contact:
LGBTQ+ Center Administrative Assistant