Safe Zone Training
Upcoming Training Dates
Safe Zone is open to ALL students, staff, faculty, and community members who come to the program voluntarily. After completing the training you will submit a Safe Zone contract, and will receive a Safe Zone sign to display.
The two hour workshop provides an opportunity for participants to explore their personal identities, privilege and what it means to be an ally at WVU. This program creates ongoing educational experiences between Safe Zone members and the WVU community that encourage students, faculty, and staff to explore cultural identity, values and stereotypes in order to better understand how these issues affect the greater community.
Trans Safe Zone
The Transgender Safe Zone covers basic information about transgender, nonbinary, and gender nonconforming people and communities, demographic information about the size of transgender populations in the US and in WV, and histories of transgender activism, as well as issues related to trans health care and transition, and trans-specific experiences with hate crimes and discrimination. The Transgender Safe Zone provides concrete strategies for those interested in becoming a transgender ally, including ways to assess the gender-inclusivity of living and learning spaces, recreational facilities, forms, policies, pedagogies, and curricula, and ways to ensure inclusive pronoun and chosen name use.
Fall 2018 Safe Zone Schedule:
- September 19 (Wednesday) – 12:00 pm (LGBTQ+ Center)
- October 2 (Tuesday): 3:00 pm – 4:30 pm -- Safe Zone Basics 101 (LGBTQ+ Center)
- October 3 (Wednesday): 4:00pm – 5:15pm -- Safe Zone & Intersectionality (Hodges Hall – G-41 Classroom)
- October 4 (Thursday): 6:00 – 7:30pm -- Safe Zone & Trans/Non-Binary Panel (LGBTQ+ Center)
- October 17 (Wednesday) – 12:00 pm (LGBTQ+ Center)
- November 14 (Wednesday) – 12:00 pm (LGBTQ+ Center)
- November 28 (Wednesday) – 12:00 pm (LGBTQ+ Center)
- December 12 (Wednesday) – 12:00 pm (LGBTQ+ Center)